Introducing Olive + M | Cleansing Oil Review
Last month, I planned on attending the Indie Beauty Expo in New York, but decided to jet back to Denver next week instead. Since the air is super dry in Colorado and everything from oils to butters are highly appreciated there, I thought this would be the perfect time to introduce a new Austin-based skincare brand, Olive + M. Plus, they'll be at the Indie Beauty Expo, too!
This olive oil-based skincare line consists of three products:
- Body Oil Repair + Renew | Key ingredients: olive oil, avocado oil, cranberry seed oil, rice bran oil
- Cleansing Oil Purify + Rejuvenate | Key ingredients: olive oil, castor oil, hemp seed oil, sunflower oil
- Face Oil Renew + Repair | Key ingredients: olive oil, pomegranate seed oil, red raspberry seed oil, rosehip seed oil
How to Use
- Use a clean, warm wash cloth to open your pores -- apply a light compress for a few seconds
- Use the pump to dispense 3-4 drops of the Cleansing Oil to your fingertips, then gently massage all over your face
- Completely remove the excess oil with a warm wash cloth
It is recommended to follow with the Olive + M Face Oil
If you wear a lot of makeup like me, cleansing oils are perfect for breaking down tough makeup as well as simply cleansing the skin. Sometimes I'll use a cleansing oil to remove makeup and then continue with my full normal routine which usually consists of a gel cleanser, toner, and moisturizer.
When Olive + M reached out for me to review the cleansing oil, I knew it was olive oil-based, but didn't realize the other natural ingredients! I'm a huge natural beauty brand fan and prefer ingredients that come from Mother Earth. Aside from olive oil, the Cleansing Oil includes castor oil, hemp seed oil, and sunflower oil. The purpose of a cleansing oil is to remove the dirty oils from the pores and replace them with the natural oils that are loaded with benefits.
- Castor Oil creates younger, smoother skin and helps detoxify.
- Hemp Seed Oil contains anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the skin.
- Sunflower Oil gives the skin a healthy glow and is an antioxidant packed with vitamins.
Add the olive oil and they're a quadruple threat! And the ingredients list several more oils.
For a cleansing oil, I think this is one of the most expensive I've seen...but as a smaller brand and looking at the full ingredients list, it could very well make sense. Of the three products, I think this is the only one that cost more than most on the market -- the face oil and body oil seemed to fit the average price. I would compare the price and ingredients to a cleansing oil like Tata Harper's.
After doing a bit of research, I found that most of the cheaper cleansing oils contained various alcohols and other non-pronounceable cosmetic ingredients. Therefore, you're paying for a fully natural product with Olive + M unlike other [inexpensive] brands. Every ingredient on Olive + M's lists are natural oils.
The great thing is that oils typically last for a LONG time so you wouldn't need to purchase often. I checked the packaging and the shelf life is 1 year; however, that doesn't necessarily mean the product will last that long. It really depends on your use.
One of the biggest questions I get for natural products is "what's stopping me from just creating my own?" I'll be 100% honest -- absolutely nothing. But let's face it...not very many of us have the time, patience, or skill to start mixing oils in the kitchen. Here's a brand that does it all for you!
I'd love to see more products from the brand -- maybe something with hair since I have African-American natural hair -- or different collections focusing on specific ingredients.
I received these products courtesy of Olive + M for review purposes. All opinions are my own.